Our bodies are very well equipped to deal with lifting and carrying. However, if we have not prepared ourselves adequately or push ourselves too hard then we risk injury and pain, especially back pain.
As a busy Chiropractic Clinic in North London, we often treat patients who have incurred a back problem after undertaking some form of lifting or carrying.
Most of these problems could have been avoided by following some basic advice on how to lift a heavy object. Our North London chiropractor share these with you now:
- Always lift a object with a straight but relaxed back
- Keep your feet hip width apart and your knees bent
- Make sure your head and shoulders are above your waist
- Avoid twisting your body
- Keep your elbows bent and to the side of your body
- Keep the object as close to your body as possible at all times
- Let the stronger muscles in your legs and knees do the work and avoid the strain on your back
Very often injuries occur because patients didn’t realise how heavy or awkward the object they were lifting was going to be. So always make sure you know what you are about to life and that it is securely packaged and not likely to move around and become unbalanced when lifting.
Remember that putting a weight down can incur as many injuries as lifting so follow the above advice when putting down a heavy object.
If you are suffering back pain then why not visit our chiropractor in North London at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic and find out how he may help you.