Frequently, as a chiropractor in a busy chiropractic clinic in North London, I am asked by patients to offer advice on purchasing a new bed or mattress.
The truth is that there is no one solution that fits everyone, after all we all come in different shapes, weights and sizes; however, there are some common factors to consider when choosing a new mattress.
Here are the most common questions I get asked and points you want to consider in relation to each one:
I’m not sure if my mattress is up to the job?
- If you (or your partner) are not getting a good night’s sleep then your mattress may be the problem.
- Being able to feel the springs through the mattress is a sign that it’s time to get a new one.
- Beds really do suffer wear and tear, and after 10 years of use then your mattress has served you well and it’s probably time to invest in a new one.
Is it better to get a hard or soft mattress?
- This really does come down to what mattress provides you with the best support.
How do I choose the right mattress for me?
- Always try out as many mattresses as you can before you buy one. A good retailer will allow you to try out mattress in their store – so don’t be shy about spending time on this.
- When lying on your side on the mattress, your spine should be parallel to the mattress and it shouldn’t sag or bow. If your spice sags then the mattress is too soft, if it bows then the mattress is too hard.
- When using a pillow, remember that when using the pillow your neck should be a continuation of the straight spine. So your head shouldn’t lift up or drop down when using the pillow.
My partner may need a different mattress?
- Always take your partner with you when shopping for a new mattress as your needs may be quite different.
- There are now different options available in the market to enable partners wanting different mattress types in one bed e.g. mattresses that can be zipped together.
If you are suffering from back pain then why not visit us at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic where our experienced North London chiropractor will be able to assess you and help you with your problem.