Exercise is a vital component of staying healthy. And to get going with exercise there is no better way than by walking. It’s free, simple and can be undertaken by nearly everyone regardless of age or fitness level.
It’s probably the most underrated form of exercise available to us. This could possibly be because it is regarded as somewhat boring and something that people do by themselves.
However, walking can be fun. If you have been put off getting out there and taking some regular exercise by walking, here are 6 tips to make it more fun:
- Ask a friend (or more) to join you. You can get out and have a good chat and getting your exercise at the same time. You’ll probably go further as you won’t even realise the distance you have covered. You’ll also be there to motivate and encourage each other to go it.
- Take the dog with you. If you’ve got a dog, they’ll love to join you.
- Put on some music. Hook up your ipod or your phone and walk to the music. Vary the music from fast to slow and keep in time as you walk.
- Make it a game. Play ‘I Spy’ or walk until you see five ‘For Sale’ signs. Come up with a new game to play every day.
- When going to or from work get off the bus or tube one or more stops early and walk the rest of the way. Many people find doing this easier as they are already on the go.
- Finally – give yourself a reward. Set yourself a target and reward yourself when you reach it.
We are very fortunate in North London to have some wonderful places to walk. Alexandra Palace, on our doorstep here in Muswell Hill one fine example. It’s conveniently located for the surrounding areas of Finchley, Highgate, Crouch End, Southgate, Enfield and Wood Green. So get going and take some exercise.
Walking can be great fun and a wonderful form of exercise – so get out there and start walking.
Dylan Paydar at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic
Committed to helping the health and well-being of people in North London
Including Muswell Hill, Finchley, Highgate and Southgate