According to recent consumer research commissioned by the British Chiropractic Association (BCA), 79% of the UK population has suffered from some form of back/neck pain at some point in their lives with 61% of these people being parents. Over half of these parents (55%) responded that their back or neck pain had prevented them from lifting or carrying their child.
As a Chiropractor in North London, I see patients on a daily basis suffering from back or neck pain and am not surprised with these findings. However, it is upsetting to see the effects that back and neck pain has on parents’ ability to undertake day to day activities such as lifting their child, picking up their toys and for some even playing with their children becomes impossible.
Here are some tips to ensure you keep your back safe when carrying out the following that as a parent you’re probably doing on a daily basis.
Carrying your baby or toddler
- Make sure you carry your baby as close to your centre of gravity as possible. Using a carrier or sling will help with this.
- Always make sure that your baby’s weight is distributed evenly. If you’re using a carrier then select one which criss-crosses at the back which will help.
- As your child grows and becomes heavier, encourage them to do more for themselves such as getting into their car seat.
Putting your baby in the car
- Hold your baby as close to you as possible before reaching into the car.
- Make sure to keep your back straight and only bend your knees when you are as close as you can be to the car seat. At this stage you can reach out to put your baby into the seat.
- Avoid over reaching into the car while holding your baby and avoid bending from the waist. These two put too much strain on your back.
Playing with your child
- Always get down to your child’s level without bending over.
- If you are kneeling then make sure your back is straight. However, you want to avoid kneeling for too long as it will put a lot of pressure on your knees.
- Use a cushion if you are going to sit on the floor to help support your back and keep it straight.
- Remember to keep changing positions regularly.
If you are suffering from back or neck pain then why not visit us at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic and get some help from our chiropractors.