According to RoSPA (The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) it is estimated that 220,000 DIY enthusiasts turn up at hospital each year which is quite a sobering number! Among the main causes of their accidents were lack of knowledge and being over ambitious about what they could achieve.
As a chiropractor in a busy clinic in North London I see a number of patients who are suffering as a result of their DIY endeavours. Many of their problems could have been avoided if they had followed some simple pieces of advice.
If you have some DIY projects to get through then here are some helpful tips to keep you safe.
Treat DIY like normal exercise:
- Lessen your chance of muscle strain by doing some gentle warm up stretches before getting started.
- Do some warm down stretches once you have finished to avoid muscle strain.
Minimise your reach when painting:
- Painting ceilings and high walls require some planning. Think about ways to minimise the amount of time it will take to paint the ceiling and what equipment you can use to make it as easy as possible for you to do the painting.
- Use a large roller or paint pad with an extended handle. Try as much as possible to hold it at chest height.
- Over stretching your neck can often result in injuries. Keep your head facing forward and as straight as possible.
Avoid twisting on a ladder:
- Always face onto the ladder. Move the ladder frequently rather than over reaching from it.
- Keep your shoulders, hips and knees pointing in the same direction.
Take regular breaks:
- Take regular breaks every 20-30 minutes.
- Vary the activities you are doing and avoid staying in the same position for too long.
If you are planning some DIY of your own make sure you stay as safe as possible, follow the tips outlined above and remember – don’t bite off more than you can chew.
If you are suffering from back pain the why not visit us at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic in North London where we can assess your problem and give you the advice and treatment that will not only treat your pain, it may well address the cause too.
Call us now on 020 8442 0008 and ask about our Limited Time, Half Price offer.
Dylan Paydar at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic
Committed to improving the health and well-being of people in North London
Including Muswell Hill, Finchley, Highgate, Crouch End and Southgate