Do you find that you regularly work through your lunch hour? You are not alone.
More than half of office workers regularly work through their lunch hour according to research carried out by BBC Breakfast.
This has become an increasing way of work for many and can have a significant impact on their overall health and wellbeing. One serious impact that this work habit can have is to increase the risk of back and neck pain.
If you are finding yourself spending increasing amounts of time at your desk hunched over your computer and paperwork then here is some advice to help you prevent the effects of back pain:
- Start by sitting in a relaxed way. Your bottom needs to be against the bottom of the seat back and your shoulder blades should be touching the back rest of the chair. It is advisable to use a seat with arm rests.
- Your feet must be touching the floor. If you can’t reach the floor then use a foot rest
- Make sure you have enough leg room under your desk – remove unnecessary clutter
- The back of your calves must not be touching the front of the seat
- Tilt your seat to ensure that your hips are higher than your knees
- Your arms should be flat and your elbows level with the surface you’re working on, be it a desk or table.
- Take a break often, at least every 40 minutes or less.
- Walk around and stretch a little or do something completely different.
Incorporating a simple 3 minute routine into your daily life can also help strengthen your spine and improve your posture. The British Chiropractic Association has created a routine called Straighten Up UK which is simple and fun – why not get started on it now. You can access the Straighten Up UK programme here.
In the meantime if you are suffering pain and discomfort why not visit Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic in North London where we can help and advise you.
Call us now on 020 8442 0008 and ask about our Limited Time, Half Price offer.
Dylan Paydar at Muswell Hill Chiropractic Clinic
Committed to improving the health and well-being of people in North London
Including Muswell Hill, Finchley, Highgate, Crouch End and Southgate